Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Lessons learned

Yesterday's ride: 6 miles, 3mph.

Lessons learned:
1. There is such a thing as 'too slow' for the pony.  Walking/slow jog: tooooo slow, when she never gets to move out.
2. Fetti will not tell me when she pulls a boot off and is brainfried.  Pastern strap stayed on, bottom of the Renegade came off.  She was happily trotting up a hill, thankyouverymuch.  I'm betting it came off when she spooked and ran up the side of the trail.
3. Fetti will, however, stand nicely and wait for me to fix said boot and get it properly attached to her foot again.

Group rides may be off the table, at least for the most part until we're done with our rides for the year.  It's not fair to spend 95% of our rides either at a moderate speed (4mph) or asking for more trot, and the other 5% asking her to spend the entire time at a pitiful Western jog. Especially when the windy weather has her pretty well wired to start with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment