Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Hand Gallop Blog Hop: What's in a name?

We're in that post-ride slump of 'not much to write about' due to all my rides being bareback in a halter doing absolutely nothing.. so instead, a blog hop!

What's the origin of your horse's show name and barn name?

Confetti is registered as Confetti DYH.  
- Haflinger fillies must be named with the same first letter as their dam, and colts must keep the same first letter as their sire.  As a result, breeders seem to use suffixes to denote their horses.

DYH is registered to Confetti's breeders up in Washington.  I've actually Facebook-chatted to both the breeder and the sire's then-owner, and I post our major accomplishments on Facebook and the Haflinger page so they can get glimpses of how awesome their pony is doing now. :)  

It's a relatively small Haflinger community out West.  I may not have blogged about it at the time, but after Fireworks last year I posted to the Haflinger group for the first time.  One lady remembered looking at her 8 years prior when she was looking for a Haflinger for herself.  Another asked her breeding and commented that her neighbor was Fetti's breeder, and that she'd asked the breeder about her recently!  Sire's owner chimed in, tagged the breeder, and poof: I have a Haflinger family and a baby photo and everything.  

As a foal, they called her Squiggle, I think for the L-star on her forehead.

Now she goes by Fetti, as her previous owner called her.  Confetti is too long to yell!  She's also affectionately 'pony' to me.

3 comments:

  1. That is so cool that you have a baby photo and have talked to her breeder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so right that the Haflinger community out here is so small. (And how ironic that I knew you, and met people who knew you who went "I know someone with a Haflinger," and I go "I KNOW WHO IT IS!")

    When I first posted on the Haflinger group, Jan Kahdeman wrote me back asking me if it was Mitch -- as in the Mitch from up north by San Francisco -- because she had his driving partner.

    I wish I had baby photos of the golden boy. I don't think it'd happen because his breeders and the people who had him up till he was at Cedar Lane are all Amish, I think, and I don't think they have email (I have addresses though from his papers, I could write, who knows, they might have something from 15 and 14 years ago, ha)

    I do have pictures of him as a 3yo from Cedar Lane though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how neat that you were able to so randomly discover all these other people connected with her!

    ReplyDelete